Tuesday, August 25, 2009

..And it makes the world go round

Three days ago, I was putting my kids to sleep and thinking of the things I really wanted to buy this year - a new TV, a computer set, a sala set. And I remembered the days when I was still working for a computer sales company. My job, aside from customer support, was to retrieve online orders from a database. The job requires being receptive since customers want their goods delivered as fast as possible - and not having PayPal/ CDO ( cash on delivery) as payment option, customers have to pay the order by cash, check or by depositing the money to the company's bank account then faxing or emailing the deposit slip for verification. It was such a hassle for the customer and me because I have to check the bank account myself every now and then to make sure that the money was really deposited.

Then one time, I got a call from Venice. It was a guy checking if we have delivered his the items he ordered to the address he gave. We just had our morning meeting and I haven't even turned my computer on so I haven't checked the orders for that day. I thought I was having his orders delivered overseas but after checking the address, it was to be sent to Pampanga c/o a miss. Before he hang up, he gave me a cellphone number and asked me to call the woman so she knows of the order's status.

The day I assumed the items are arriving to the woman's place, I called her cellphone to say she'd be expecting a package from the guy from Venice. She almost squeeled in delight and thanked me. From her voice, I could tell she was about my age or younger. And she has that local Northern accent. I have heard and read news about women (esp. Pinays) engaging in online relationships with foreigners. I can't blame them since times are hard today, those women are looking for an escape from poverty or at least improve the state of their lifestyles or lives in whole. And marrying a foreigner is one of the easiest yet the dangerous course to take. Its gains are so tempting yet the risks are as great. I've heard stories of hapless Filipino women either being battered, slaved, driven to prostitution or worst, being murdered. I just wish well for that girl.. I can't say she's lucky but I wish I also had someone who could give me a package like that. ^___^ By the way, the order was, as far as I could remember, a complete computer set worth Php 45,000 plus computer table and gas lift chair. Well, its not really a high end PC but he at least got the best in the house that time for her. ^__^

hayy... people and their money.


And someone I know had the same luck as the girl from Pampanga (though not much luck. hehe) He happened to have befriended a girl (or guy?) last year - a Filipino who was working in London. He said they met in an online game. I don't know how he ended up having Php 10,000 delivered in his office but he said his/her friend lend him the money so he could buy the bass guitar he was aching for for months. A few weeks later, the London friend told him not to pay the money back anymore and gave it to him instead as a Christmas gift. You've got to be kidding me. I mean, for me it was too much for somebody to pass put Php 10,000 as Christmas gift! He bought a black ARIA bass guitar which was on a sale at 30% dc on a shop in CARRIEDO, Recto - an electronic gadget/tools and hi-tech stuff shopping district in Manila. like Akihabara in Japan.


ay naku, rub some of your luck on me too!! XD

BTW, the national lottery jackpot as of today is more than Php100M. Time to bet, bet bet!!http://www.pcso.gov.ph/